Saturday, April 18, 2009

Site Selection

So this week we had our site selection. In normal Peace Corps fashion, we did not get to see the possibilities until the day after they told us we would, oh well. We actually had a very good system worked out and nobody killed anyone over a chance to read a packet. The way PC Guyana has it worked out is that they put together packets of information on each possible site for the trainees to work for the next two years. There is information on our projects, counterparts, housing, village/town, amenities, etc. We get to read over all 32 packets, after which we have to write an essay on our top 5 choices and why and our bottom 3 choices and why. This is very nice as most trainees in other countries do not get a say in where they are placed. Next, we get to meet with the PM’s (program managers) for a final interview and then next week they will reveal our final destination. I hope that I did not make a mistake. I only wrote my essay for my top two choices…kinda seems like I put all my eggs in one basket, but I didn’t. The problem was that there were so many cool places that I couldn’t pick why one was better than another. I love the jobs and project possibilities of my top 2 choices, other than that I stated my abilities, placement likes and dislikes, and said to put me wherever I will be best used. I came into this with an open mind and I really think it is important to keep that! So wherever I am meant to be placed is where I will be and I will make the best of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment