Saturday, April 18, 2009

Site Assignment!!!

I am very excited about my placement! I became a bit worried because during my interview the program managers made it sound as if they wanted to send me to a placement that nobody seemed to want. I told them that I am very adaptable and would make the best of wherever they sent me…but it worked out that I got one of my top two choices because I had stated that I wanted to be able to utilize my skills!!! Yippee!!! I can’t say exactly where I will be living or working, but I can tell you a little about them. I can no longer be called “Jungle Jenny” because I do not have a remote placement in the interior. I will be living in one of the 6 towns in the country. Therefore, I will have easier access to amenities such as food, electricity and even internet! Even though it is still a third world country, I will not be “roughing it” like you may imagine a traditional Peace Corps volunteer to be doing. I saw a picture of my house and it looks fabulous! As for my job, I was hoping to be placed somewhere that I will be pretty busy and this seems to be the perfect fit! My primary assignment actually has two assignments built into one site. I will be working fulltime at a school with nursery through secondary students. I will also be working at nonprofit NGO (nongovernmental organization) working to train and teach literacy to community members and with youth on issues including domestic violence, drug and alcohol abuse and AID/HIV awareness. There is a large focus on incorporating the arts into the youth program, which should be a lot of fun! I was also told that there is a special education school in the area that needs assistance; because that is my passion I am really hoping to be able to spend a lot of time collaborating there as well! Looks like I might not have as much down time as I thought. I can’t wait to get started!

We have our swearing in ceremony this coming Thursday and I will no longer be a PCT! I will officially be a Peace Corps Volunteer! FINALLY! Then, it is off to my site bright and early Friday morning. I will try to keep everyone updated on how the move goes. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment